Friday, November 6, 2009

Chastity

I was just wondering how you got your name. I don’t know too many people named Rodger. But, I have heard the term “Rodger you roundly”. What exactly is the etymology?

Love, Chastity


Dear Chastity,

My father was called Rodger, as was his father before him. 'Twas a common and manly name of Londontown. Both of my forebears were well and widely known about the streets as sellers of piss pots. I too apprenticed in this trade, but was thus forced to make sail for the new world, along with my wife, as means of escape from a frivolous and untrue warrant of buggery. (I didst only make the playful pass of a carrot into the bunghole of John the baker's son, but the cellar being most unlit and shadowy, he thought I did seek to mount him as my ladywife.)

I am most pleased and humbled to learn that my name hath survived lo these many years whilst I did repose in the bog. I am indeed the namesake of the merry and manly act of "Rodgering." I was much sought by my neighbors of the Virginia Colony as an amorous companion, being possessed as I was--nay, am--of great skill and virtue in the art of flogging. I be greatly indebted to God that he didst construction me in so lovely a fashion that neither woman nor man nor beast might look upon me with without desire. Indeed, I was thus escaping the stockade when I didst stumble into that fateful bog which hath rendered me as Lazarus. I saw it not, but there was much scuttle about the village that the mayor's finest goat did bring forth a kid that didst greatly resemble my personage. The parson, deeming this a most ugly and unholy thing, didst summon me to be thus placed in the stockade and purified by fire, as the witches of the northern colonies.

(It speaks not to the point at hand, but I should like to say that such was my reputation that I was summoned forth to venture to the north by a coven of said witches. In their company I didst drink blood and hear tell of new and lusty techniques that I might bring back to my benighted neighbors.)

Thus is my name. Please turn thy mind's eye on me when it dost next pass that it be done to thee.

No comments: